Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Dave Ramsey Vacation

I have talked about how expensive living in Japan can be in past posts. Being in the military means we receive a cost of living adjustment, but it doesn't offset enough not to feel a little tightening in our budget. Which leads me to today's post... a Dave Ramsey-approved vacation!

A few of my Iwakuni readers have asked how Dustin and I afford to go on our mini-vacations on the horrible dollar to yen exchange rate. (Today's rate was 76 yen to $1.00). The conversations always start with some comment like "Oh, you work in a bank. That's how you can do all these things." To which I must reply:

I work in a bank, I don't make bank. Especially working for a government bank.

So how do we do it? Well, we are graduates of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. Google it. For those that know of the baby steps - we're on 6! This means we have learned the ways to be cheap thrifty. For example, our most recent trip to Tokyo and Mt. Fuji cost a whopping... wait for it...

$222.00

Yep, read that again. $222.00 for two adults for a Saturday - Wednesday vacation. Hotel, plane, train, and food - including dinner at Chili's Bar & Grill on the Air Force Base.

FREE!
So, friends in Iwakuni, you have no excuse for not enjoying this wonderful and beautiful country!

No comments:

Post a Comment