Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Baths

Recently I have been planning a jam-packed itinerary for my visiting family. On the heels of my mother's visit, Dustin and I get to show our beloved host country to my father's side of the family.

Through all the e-mails and Skype I think we have cemented all the logistics of their visit. During this process I had to explain why bathing suits would be necessary. It was during this conversation that I realized I have never fully explained bathrooms in Japan. The video below does a great job of explaining bathroom and toilets in most households.



Additionally, we often stay in hotels with public baths. These areas are segregated by gender and are just larger versions of the bathroom in the video above. However, I have prudish tendencies and still wear my bathing suit. Maybe next year...

1 comment:

  1. I love onsen/sento! The hardest part of the nudity is honestly, the locker room where everyone gets undressed. Its awkward as hell, especially if you're with people you know (I did it with strangers the first couple times-- made it much easier, especially if you already know the rules about washing, like she shows in the video). But once you get through the doors to the baths, its so relaxing and so normal. Everyone is nude, no one cares, its comfortable, warm and safe. I loved it so much, I had to find an onsen when I got back to the States. Found a Korean one that is similar and I still go, especially in the winter when its cold and gloomy. The public baths are probably on my top ten of Japan-- definitely something to experience!

    ReplyDelete