Friday, October 11, 2013

Tokyo Game Show

The first weekend Dustin and I were in Iwakuni we heard about the Tokyo Game Show, a huge exhibit for video games and new platforms. We were excited, but after all the traveling we weren't really up for a big trip to Tokyo. So we skipped the first year. The second year was coiming up and after researching information found that the public days coincided for a triathlon in which I was training to compete. So we skipped the second year. As we enter our final year in Japan we have started making a list of the adventures that have been pushed off for one reason or another that we must experience before leaving this amazing country.

Finally we make it to the Tokyo Game Show. We recently had an airport open in Iwakuni. It shares use with the US flightline on base. We priced out some options to find the cheapest way to get back and forth from Tokyo in a day. There was some talk of using the Night Bus again, but ultimately I wanted a shower so flying up and back in one day became the best option.

We met some friends at the airport and began our journey to Tokyo. The normal train schedule from the airport to the event venue had been altered to accomodate the increase in traffic. So while deciphering the signs we were attacked! Out of the tall grass popped a wild nerd! An Batman-ified American appears out of nowhere,


Why yes, good sir, are we that obvious? I look around at our party. A Batman hoodie complete with ears, Doctor Who and the Daleks, Final Fantasy heroes, and the Triforce. Yes, we are that obvious.

After an hour of train hops we made it to the massive, albeit quickly moving, line.

Ta-da! Squee! We are finally here!

We entered in showroom 1 of 9. Well, technically of 12, but the last three showrooms were dedicated to cosplayers. My main focus was finding Square Enix. I have written many times about their amazing universes and had heard some rumors that there was going to be cinematics and possibly game play for Kingdom Hearts 3. Look up.... oh! There!

On one side of their HUGE display area they had some cosplay from A Realm Reborn.

On another side was a huge screen showing trailers for all of Square Enix's upcoming titles. It was on a forty minute loop (lots of new games!) that we stood among the sweaty mass to see. I was bummed about the Kingdom Hearts 3 trailer as it was one I had already seen online. They did spend ample time on the upcoming Final Fantasy XV. I was blown away by the new content and am quite excited about the open battle style. And it looks positively gorgeous.

Further around the Square Enix area we found an option to play demo versions of some of the titles. The lines to play were over ninety minutes. An hour and a half wait to play five minutes of game play.

We spent some time at the XBOX area, but none of my pictures came out very well. too much lime green everywhere. Each of the larger booths had a similar set up. Displaying new games in one spot, a demo experience, and then a stage where artists, creators, contributors, voice actors, etc would talk about their projects.

After a couple of hours in this area we decided to move along. We still had huge event areas we hadn't even been to yet. While walking between venues we found these ladies who agreed for a photo.

The next exhibit hall had a huge area for Sony products. Many people were lined up to play titles on the new PlayStation 4. There were so many sweaty people!

Seeing the new virtual reality (?) was scary and awesome at the same time. Some titles would be fun, but I need the separation on some of my scary titles.

We were quite hungry after an early flight and all our excited jumping up and down. So we slowly made our way through the crowd to the food areas. Curry, noodles, panko-fried things on sticks, and Domino's pizza were available. Ee edged into some available floor space and feasted.

The food area was next door to the merchandise areas. Dustin and I spent half an hour waiting through the Square Enix merchandise line. It was a little disappointing as much of their stock we have seen/purchased on our visits to Artnia.

On our way out we ran into Master Chief. Poor guy was just trying to go up the escalator but people kept asking him to pose. Hope he wasn't heading to the bathroom...

We made our way out of the exhibit area tired, sweaty, and with enough free loot to keep us entertained for a few weeks. It was an hour back to the airport and then a quick flight home. Definitely goes in the record book for one of the best days I have spent in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment