Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Life of an Adventurer

Labor Day weekend has just passed with less than stellar adventures. We're tired. A typhoon hitting on Saturday and nothing but rain for the rest of the weekend means a Marvel movie marathon and binge Animal Crossing. I must say it was a restful weekend. I feel refreshed!

This morning I received news that my great-aunt is in poor health. The standard reaction is sadness and grief when one hears a love one is nearing the end of life. The family member that told me didn't seem to understand my lack of these standard issue emotions. Why should I feel sad?

My great-aunt is one of the bravest women I have ever known. Fearless. A life lived with many more adventures than which I have words to write. Years spent touring the world and experiencing amazing food, culture, and people. "Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives." - A. Sachs.



As a child I never realized how much I absorbed from the adults around me. Probably unbeknown to her, I learned two major life lessons from my great-aunt. 1. There is always time for adventure. Something I have incorporated into my daily life and 2.Don't hold grudges. Life is too short.

You will be missed, my fearless Aunt Joan.

No comments:

Post a Comment